I always use to say, “When I grow up, I want to be a Russian girl.” Or, “In my next life, I hope I am a Vaganova girl.” There is a reason why, and we all know it. Ballerinas from Russia seem to have it all. The French codified ballet, but the Russians have mastered it. Dancing Russian ballet or the Vaganova style might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but we all are mind blown we watch their graduation videos on youtube. So, in this edition of signs that distinguish your training, we are dedicating to those crazy little girls at the Vaganova School, and those who are trying to replicate that training.
Ahh yes, you know trained Russian if…
1. Your port de bras is always curved, and at barre it always looks like you are dancing Swan Lake.
2. Your extension is everything.
3. Your turn out is beyond 180…
4. In class your teacher made some reference back to the Soviet Era, these stories usually involved snow, a cane, or some other teacher smoking in class.
5. You have an unbelievably high passé, like literally heel to your crotch.
That was a fun five… but here are some others that are just kind of funny.
You know you trained Russian if your fouettés are a little spazzy because you only open a la seconde.
You know you trained Russian because you were over stretched as a child.
You know you trained Russian if your developpé side goes behind your ear.
You know you trained Russian if your combre back is lower than the barre.
You know you trained Russian if in variations class you always add an extra arch forward in B+
You know you are pretending to be Russian when you are in the studio pretending to be wacked out (flexible), with little bird arms.
One response to “You know you trained Russian if…”
I was trained in the Vaganova style by 3 Russian women at Nevada Ballet Theatre. I know just what you are talking about! lol 😉